Monday, August 16, 2010

Hong Kong Airport

I got to SFO at around 11pm and as I was going through security, I started to get a little scared. There were all these families traveling together and then there was just me. I guess taking the plane alone often to SD didn't really prepare me for this new experience. Oh wells.

I remember reading a yahoo article about the full body scan at airports and I saw one today! Sadly, I didn't look suspicious enough to walk through it, but I saw two other guys do it.


Initially, I was planning to stay awake for the first 6 hrs on my 14 hr flight and that didn't really work out. I guess I was too tired at 1AM to actually pull it off. During the entire flight I was going in and out of sleep, limbs/joints got swollen because I wasn't moving around much and I finally got to watch Date Night. The movie was alright, Steve Carrell was ridiculous, Tina Fey was alright, so I'll give the movie a 7/10.

When I got to the Hong Kong airport, I realize I should really get glasses, things look slightly blurry and it really freaks me out since I'm in a foreign country. Nothing really looks familiar. All those big signs that are supposed to be easy to read, are just slightly fuzzy on the edges, but still legible, barely.

I landed at 5:15 in Hong Kong and I had to go through security again to get to the gate for my connecting flight. Security seems a little more relaxed here. I didn't have to take off my shoes and they put my laptop in a separate tub but they put some of my other belongings on top of the laptop :\. When I finally get to head out to my gate, I go downstairs and try to get on the shuttle to get to the other side of the airport but it doesn't start until 6am. So I'm like, no biggie and start walking over to gate 70 from gate 20. I didn't realize how long this would take until like 5 minutes later and I'm only at gate 28. This is because there is 75 meters from one gate to the next >.<. So this takes me like 20 minutes to walk alll the way over to the other side of the airport -____-. What a workout that was.

I finally settle down and decide to update my blog and I click my link for my blog and all the links were in CHINESE! and I'm like WTF! Good thing I knew exactly where the sign in button was and once I signed in, it went back to English :)

1 comment:

  1. Too bad you didn't get to go through the body scanner. Kinda wanna know how it feels like. And the whole swollen leg thing from the plane. Did you walk around to get all that blood pumping? How did you spend your time while you were awake (besides watching Date Night)?

    Your walk to gate 70 reminded me of this really REALLY long walk when I was in Hawaii. It was when we got to the airport in Maui and we had to walk to get from our gate to the baggage claim to meet the tour guide. I was pulling two suitcases AND it was horribly humid. :( So yeah, that was what came to mind.

    Hope you are having fun in Beijing (or Shanghai if you are there right now.) Michael and I still working on our secondaries. UCSD is currently at the top of our list. We have to write an autobiography about our lives. Sigh... Then we have 26 more to go. Wish us luck. We are trying to finish them all by mid-September. Currently still procrastinating. :) Have fun on your excursions and take lots of pictures for us okay? Miss you!

    And for some reason my name shows up in Chinese. Probably because I had to do blogs for Chinese class when I was still in them. Hope I can fix it.. If not, I guess it is appropriate since you are in HK annyways... :D

    ReplyDelete