Thursday, September 2, 2010

Lecture

I had my first round of classes today and it was quite different. Usually in UCSD, lecture halls can fit at least 200-300 students so this was what I was expecting when I was going to walk into a lecture hall in HKU; however, the lecture hall (as it was labeled on the door) was only a little larger than a discussion room. It had discussion room desks and the floor was flat. My cell biology class at 8:30 had around 40 students in a 50-100 person room and my reproduction and reproductive biotechnology class only had 15. I don't understand where all the students are, it makes me feel very awkward to be in such a small class since I'm used to blending into the crowd. It makes it easier for me to fall asleep if necessary :P

Besides the size of the classes, the accent of some of my professors were very strong too. I had to concentrate very hard to actually pick up what they were saying and I felt that the class would go at a much slower pace because English was not their first language. I mean, it wasn't terrible, but it made me feel like I could definitely get more out of the class if I took it at my home university instead. Reproduction seems like an interesting topic and I don't want to waste it on HKU :\ I guess this is the wrong way to think about it, but I really feel awkward in a 15 student class. I'll give it 1 more lecture and see how that goes.

One good thing about lectures here is that they print out the all the slides for you before class to hand out. They aren't as cheap as UCSD where you have to print everything out yourself :P But then again, it is only a 15 person class.

EDIT: There's WebCT at HKU and apparently where Denise is from too O.o

1 comment:

  1. If you took Reproduction at home, then it would probably be a breeze for you. Multiple choice tests (midterm + final) but section is required. But super easy. :) But don't give up over there. I'm sure you will find a way to get used to the accented English. But nice that it is a small class and that they give you the handouts. If you don't know something (since it will now be harder to ask Michael), just Wikipedia or Google it. Gotta go proctor a final now. :/

    UCSD is now done done and we are submitting Irvine and another school today. Just got UCSF secondary yesterday. Just have to update my activities for them. Excited!

    ReplyDelete